[RFC] Virtual Key Fields

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 13:52:28 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 09:42:14 Eric Paris wrote:
> > Auditctl will also allow delete all rules matching a key. This will allow
> > the admin or a program to delete a set of rules related to just a
> > particular key and leave all other rules intact.
>
> How does this work?  This is a completely new concept and it seems like
> it should be a second patch after you have multiple keys in to start
> with.

This is all in user space so no kernel changes are needed.

> auditctl -a exit,always -w /tmp/file1 -k file1 -k shared-key
> auditctl -a exit,always -w /tmp/file2 -k file2 -k shared-key
>
> now if I say (and i'm just guessing your new syntax):
>
> auditctl -d -k shared-key

I was only going to change the '-D' option (delete all). Assuming this was
typed:

auditctl -D -k shared-key

You have no rules left which is the same as if you did not have the -k added.
If however, you have this loaded:

-a exit,always -w /tmp/file1 -k file1 -k my-file-key -k ids-file-high
-a exit,always -w /tmp/file2 -k file2 -k another-key -k ids-file-high

auditctl -D -k another-key

will just delete the second rule.

auditctl -D -k ids-file-high

will delete them all.