need debug suggestions on system freeze

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri May 9 20:17:48 UTC 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008 15:58:45 LC Bruzenak wrote:
> I need some suggestions for debugging an issue I'm having.
> I have a Dell Vostro laptop I've been using successfully for a while
> (details below). It has some user apps running but doesn't seem
> overburdened. I am running mls policy in permissive mode.

I don't know what is causing the lockups, but the overflowing queue is a
priority problem. I've found that I need at least -8 priority boost for the
audispd daemon to stay ahead of auditd.

I just released a new audit package that allows setting separate auditd and
audispd priorities. In the meantime, you can "renice -8 -p <pid>" for audispd
and see if that doesn't fix the main problem.