Using Audit to create a realtime process creation monitor

Bruno Gustavo Wallauer brunogw at terra.com.br
Fri Oct 24 22:43:34 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm working on a system that needs a realtime process creation tool
(using C programming), getting the pid ppid and path of the process.

I've been trying to use the audit subsystem to do this, but no matter
which way I tried, so far I hadn't been successful.

I've tried these for task creation:

    - auditctl -a entry,always -S fork -S vfork -S clone
            This way I can't know the pid of the new process, just the
caller;
    - auditctl -a entry,always -S brk -F 'a0=0'
             This way works most of the time, but creates duplicated
entries;
    - auditctl -a task,always
             With this I get _a lot_ of garbage, and it's too CPU
consuming to process the output;

And this for task destruction:

    - auditctl -a entry,always -S exit -S exit_group
             Works most of the time, but doesn't catch "killall sshd"
(doesn't get the "sshd is dying" part).

    Can anybody help me with these?

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers,