Audit Logs and EventLog Analyzer

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 19:08:15 UTC 2009

Dan Gruhn wrote:
> I'm currently using AdventNet's EventLog Analyzer for auditing of a
> secure Windows machine and thought it would be nice to use for a
> secure RHEL 5.2 cluster as well since people would only need to use
> one interface.  It seems to do well with the syslog entries, but I
> don't see anything about getting the auditd/ audit.log entries into
> it.  Can anyone point me to some information on how to do this or
> should I give up on this and go the Prewikka route?
Isn't this a question for AdventNet?

* How do you currently get the syslog data into AdventNet? Are you
directing AdventNet to read /var/log/message? Is AdventNet reading a
syslog socket?

* Log analyzers need to understand the contents of a log file, does
AdventNet know how to parse and interpret audit data?

Basically you can feed audit log data to an analyzer in two different
ways, tell it to monitor the /var/log/audit/audit.log file or write a
audispd plugin which sends the audit data to the analyzer (code is
simple). But first you had better check AdventNet can parse and
understand the data.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>