ausearch nodes option

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 14:42:19 UTC 2009

On Friday 05 June 2009 10:07:02 am LC Bruzenak wrote:
> In an ausearch I would like to look for events from multiple hosts.
> Ideally I would have multiple "-n <HOSTNAME>" entries which would return
> events for any of the hosts.
>
> The man page says that the options form an "and" statement. I find this
> isn't the case with multiple hosts specified, but the result is the
> "last host listed wins":

ausearch has one and exactly one entry for each search option that you add to
a command line. Two nodes don't work just as two files or two terminals don't
work. It does however do a partial match. So you could have a naming scheme
that allows search by subnet.

ausearch -n 192.168.1

> I may patch my own ausearch to behave differently.

If you patch yours, send it to the list.