audit-viewer

Miloslav Trmac mitr at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 17:22:53 UTC 2009

Hello,
----- "Dan Gruhn" <Dan.Gruhn at groupw.com> wrote:
> I am getting this error when audit viewer starts:
>
> # audit-viewer
> Error reading audit events: No such file or directory.
>
> Thinking that perhaps something is pointing to the wrong files, I
> attempted to use Window/Change event source.. . Then I get this:
<snip>
>   File "/usr/local/share/audit-viewer/source_dialog.py", line 161, in
>
> __source_log_with_rotated_toggled
>     self.source_log.set_active_iter(it)
> TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter
This crash is a bug in audit-viewer, I'll fix it for the next release.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem is caused by the fact that audit-viewer searches for audit logs in the --prefix subtree (as specified by configure). You can verify the used path by running (strings /your/prefix/libexec/audit-viewer-server-real |grep /log/audit); If it is not /var/log/audit, you'll need to rebuild audit-viewer, specifying --localstatedir=/var .

I'll document the necessity to use --localstatedir.

Thank you,
    Mirek