Differentiating user activity from system activity

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 18:05:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 11:52 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Monday 09 March 2009 05:42:09 pm Matthew Booth wrote:
> > On Linux we don't record a terminal.
>
> We do record terminal info in the tty & term fields. Additionally, if the auid
> and ses fields are -1, you know its a process that was descended from init.
> If they have something in them, then it was descended from a login session.

I should have made this clear: the principal target is RHEL 4, although
RHEL 5 features are worth noting. Do these fields exists in RHEL 5?

> > What about system daemons restarted by an administrator?
>
> They would inherit the admin's environment and identifiers.

Is that something you've ever given any thought to? This could be quite
problematic in a number of situations. I suspect SELinux would be the
answer here.

> > How about SELinux?
>
> Not sure how this applies.

This would be RHEL 5 only, but I was thinking something along the lines
of differentiating based on SELinux context.

Matt