audit rotate question

LC Bruzenak lenny at magitekltd.com
Wed May 20 18:37:01 UTC 2009

If I do a "service auditd rotate" it just sends the auditd the USR1
signal which means "start the rotation".

On a slow/burdened machine with many files this is not immediate.

I am trying to run a cron job which will :

mkdir /var/log/audit-archive/
service auditd rotate
mv /var/log/audit/audit.log.* /var/log/audit-archive/

But the files listed are not through rotating so it has issues (file not
found, leaves behind the last one rotated - audit.log.1, etc.).

How can I tell when the rotate is complete so I can move the files out?
I'm sure there is a simple way but I cannot see it.

Thx,
LCB.

--
LC (Lenny) Bruzenak