audit-1.7.16 released

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 15:59:05 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 November 2009 08:14:22 pm LC Bruzenak wrote:
> Thinking about the client network connection timeout...
>
> I am wondering if this is a serious enough condition to warrant
> inserting an audit event in addition to the syslog.

If you have 1000 machines and the switch dies, you will have 4000 events when
everything reconnects. The server will record its own events and the clients
will record duplicate copies from their end. The audit trail has not been lost
or anything bad happened. I think this is more of a systems management issue
than security.

> For me it is, because sending a termination event from the client is
> both difficult and unreliable, and I am supposed to provide client
> (sender) startup/shutdown data.

You should have daemon start/end events at the aggregator. Are they not
getting there? Also, the aggregator should have matching connect/disconnect
events.