Audit Log not capturing access to security related files

Starr-Renee Corbin corbin at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 25 16:57:10 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am required (by NISPOM) to audit access to security related files.
I am essentially using the nispom audit.rules provided by rhel5 to
accomplish this.

However, some of my systems are capturing access to /etc/shadow and
some of my systems are not (when looking in /var/log/audit/audit.log.

Worried that I might have differing audit.rules files between the
systems I have even copied the audit.rules file from systems that were
auditing right to systems that were not.  But this has not resolved
the auditing problem.

HELP!

Thank you!

Starr