Lockout record

Steve M. Zak smzak at faac.com
Thu Dec 2 22:46:42 UTC 2010

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info!  I do see the USER_AUTH events which I didn't know about so thanks.

I may have something mis-configured, but for instance in my pam.d/sshd file I have deny=5

I can see the 5 failed attempts as type=USER_AUTH with res=failed, but the RESP_ACCT_LOCK doesn't show up until the 6th login attempt and a message gets displayed to the user "Your account is locked. Maximum amount of failed attempts was reached."

Does a lock event get written to the audit.log on the 5th attempt? (I didn't see RESP_ACCT_LOCK_TIMED in the log).  A Red Hat KB article and Tech Support indicates that the lock happens at deny=n + 1, but it seems to happen at deny=n.  The lock event seems to get recorded at deny=n + 1.

Thanks!

Steve M. Zak