user audits

LC Bruzenak lenny at magitekltd.com
Fri Dec 3 16:12:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 10:54 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday, December 03, 2010 10:40:37 am LC Bruzenak wrote:
> > Would there be any issue with adding a couple new trusted_application
> > event types? Would any kernel mods be needed to support this?
>
> Are these events originating in user space or the kernel? I might be convinced to set
> aside the block of IDs from 2600 - 2699 for local use if a suitable framework were
> written. This would mean that there is some config file that holds the local mapping of
> event IDs to text and ausearch/report/parse will need to be patched to understand
> local definitions.

Great!
>From user space only. Analogous to signal handling of SIGUSR1, SIGUSR2
where the framework supports the user-implemented pieces.

I was thinking ausearch/auparse would treat all the TRUSTED_APPs the
same...since they (currently) fails to parse these correctly anyway
IMHO. :)

Everything else could treat the additional user types exactly as they do
the TRUSTED_APP event now. When I dig through the events on the back end
I would be able to act differently on the ones I know I've put in place
on the originating end.

> Would you be interested in this approach?

Absolutely!
I will be starting work on some stuff which could utilize this after the
holidays. If it gets into RHEL6 I would be thrilled!

Thx,
LCB

--
LC (Lenny) Bruzenak