Audit Uid and login uid

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 19:05:48 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 17, 2010 01:48:42 pm Ashok Kumar J wrote:
> I want to know the difference between login uid and audit uid.

Login uid is the original id that a user logs in with. However, that is not as concise
as it could be. So, in the logs its represented as auid to save bytes because it will
show up in all events. They are synonymous.

> If it is same, then how i can show that this two things are same.  I saw about the
> function setauid and setlogin also. Please tell me the difference in
> between this.

There is no setauid function. There is a audit_setloginuid() function that you could
write a short program to see what it does. It creates a LOGIN event - which is really
to indicate that a loginuid was assigned.