cross-compiling difficulty with on-the-fly gen/build/use paradigm

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sat Aug 18 13:10:41 UTC 2012

On Friday, August 17, 2012 08:19:48 PM John Baron wrote:
> I'm having a problem trying to cross-compile audit.  The problem is that
> gen_actiontabs_h is built using the cross-compiler (for ARM), and then it's
> asked to run on the host (x86_64).  [I've seen some discussion of cross-
> compiling, but this issue hasn't been brought up, AFAICT]
>
> Is there a simple way around this?  A complex way, perhaps?  Extra points
> for simple!

Unfortunately no. This code has been there for quite a while. The issue is
basically that we were doing performance analysis of ausearch/report and
libauparse. We found that the integer to string lookups were causing a
performance hit. Mirek wrote some code to turn these from a serial search into
a sorted list that I think are now searched using a b-tree algorithm. So, at
compile time what happens is these tables are sorted so that later they are
fast. This improved performance quite a bit.