linux auditd: Not getting log for chmod syscall

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 20:04:37 UTC 2012

On Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:52:29 PM bharat gupta wrote:
> I am using redhat 6, and trying to create logs for some system call using
> the rule given below:
>
> *-a always,exit -F arch=b64  -S chmod -S fchmod -S fchmodat -F auid>=500
>  -F auid!=4294967295 -k perm_mod*

The rule works for me.

# auditctl -a always,exit -F arch=b64  -S chmod -S fchmod -S fchmodat -F
'auid>=500' -F auid!=4294967295 -k perm_mod

I don't have any asterisk and I have single quote marks since bash will
interpret the > as a redirection. But then doing a chmod command, it does pick
up the fchmodat() syscall.

> After running command chmod i was not able to get any log, but when i used
> strace command i have seen that syscall have been called.
> I also checked that auditd service is running properly.

When you use auditctl -l, is the rule just like you expected?

LIST_RULES: exit,always arch=3221225534 (0xc000003e) auid>=500 (0x1f4) auid!=-1
(0xffffffff) key=perm_mod syscall=chmod,fchmod,fchmodat

It should just work unless you are on a distribution that does not really
support auditing.