Kernel oops+crash on repeated auditd restarts

Valentin Avram aval13 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 07:13:23 UTC 2012

Please read below.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Eric Paris <eparis at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 18:45 +0200, Valentin Avram wrote:
>
> > Did anybody ever experience kernel oopses and even kernel crashes
> > (after a while), by just restarting repeatedly the auditd daemon?
>
> No, but I'll try to remember to take a look.  We did have a BUG() that
> was recently fixed when using -w rules (as I recall).   But I've never
> seen this particular NULL pointer bug.  We did recently fix a race in
> fsnotify mark destruction that could be this, but those symptoms weren't
> exactly the same.
>
> I'm both the upstream Audit and fsnotify maintainer so I'm grumbley at
> Gentoo for never letting me know isn't working.  Where else did you
> happening.

I only reported the issue on Gentoo bugs and LKML (the two links i included
in the original email). The Gentoo guys at first did seem interested in the
bug and asked for a test with a kernel compiled with CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO and
CONFIG_DEBUG_LIST. After that test it looked like some list is getting
messed up somewhere (altough i'm part C programmer, my kernel insides
knowledge is limited). The LKML guys didn't even bother to answer.

> Can you send me any and all info you have?

All the information i had is posted on the Gentoo bug report. The two
machines i used to test the issue are now in production mode, so i can't do
any testing on them. However I'll soon have access to a new machine that
can stay in test mode for a while, where i plan to retest with Gentoo's
latest "stable-marked" kernel gentoo-sources-3.1.6.

> I'll see if I can reproduce a problem here (but I'm a Fedora guy)

At this moment i'm not extremely sure if it's a auditd issue or a kernel
issue or both. However, if you're running a kernel lower than 3.0.7 and
auditd 2.1.3, I'd be very interested if running the one-liner i posted
(audit start and stop on a loop with 5 seconds delay) will eventually (in 1
hour or something close) crash the kernel completely (or at least oops a
lot of times).

Thank you.