retrieve EIP/RIP for syscall in audit

Xiaokui Shu subbyte at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:04:11 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have a question about one of the features of audit.
Can I use audit to log the EIP/RIP at time of syscall? There is a "-i"
flag in strace that does the work.

When I compare the mechanisms of audit and strace(ptrace), I find
maybe it is not possible for strace to do so. Audit is on the kernel
side of a syscall, and does not know the audited program's internal
information (I am not sure if I understand it right). However, one can
still fetch extra information out of the syscall event (e.g. block a
syscall when coming, check the audited program stack and clear
blocking), but it may bring much overhead.

Best,
Xiaokui