linux-audit: reconstruct path names from syscall events?

Al Viro viro at ZenIV.linux.org.uk
Tue Oct 9 23:54:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:47:17PM -0700, Mark Moseley wrote:
> > BTW, what makes you think that container's root is even reachable from
> > "the host's /"?  There is no such thing as "root of the OS itself"; different
> > processes can (and in case of containers definitely do) run in different
> > namespaces.  With entirely different filesystems mounted in those, and
> > no promise whatsoever that any specific namespace happens to have all
> > filesystems mounted somewhere in it...
>
> Nothing beyond guesswork, since it's been a while since I've played
> with LXC. In any case, I was struggling a bit for the correct
> terminology.
>
> Am I similarly off-base with regards to the chroot'd scenario?

chroot case is going to be reachable from namespace root, but I seriously
doubt that pathname relative to that will be more useful...

Again, relying on pathnames for forensics (or security in general) is
a serious mistake (cue unprintable comments about apparmor and similar
varieties of snake oil).  And using audit as poor man's ktrace analog
is... misguided, to put it very mildly.