Help on Audit Rules

Miloslav Trmac mitr at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 11:29:05 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> So my question is why normal users audit event logs cant be captured
> as a "type=USER_TTY" , where as root logs can be captured
> similarway.
USER_TTY is sent by the process that accepts the keyboard input.  Unprivileged users are not allowed to send audit records (otherwise they would be able to fill the queue and/or the log partition, causing a DoS), so the USER_TTY record is discarded.

Even for unprivileged users you should have the type=TTY records, although they are noticeably more difficult to interpret.
   Mirek