How to offer a patch

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 18:55:13 UTC 2013

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:44:37 AM Burn Alting wrote:
> I've made some mods to auditctl to allow it to read a directory of 'rule
> files'. The idea is that within an enterprise, one would distribute a
> standard /etc/audit/audit.rules which can be updated from the corporate
> repository. Should a system require localized audit rules, then a
> directory containing files of rules can be maintained locally. The
> reasoning for a directory as opposed to just an additional file is to
> offer granularity of 'rule sets'.

See the previous email about SCAP limitations.

> I would like to know the convention for patching to this list. Should I
> git clone the svn repository then supply a git diff? Can I just provide
> an old-fashioned diff -rupN or C_ALL=C TZ=UTC0 diff -Naur?

As long as it can be applied with 'patch', I can figure out whether its -p0 or
-p1. I generally go for the diff -urpN option. It probably doesn't need to be
mentioned, but I don't like patches (or sections of patches) that only add
formatting or white spaces to existing code.

Thanks,