PCI-DSS: Log every root actions/keystrokes but avoid passwords

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 15:59:07 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:55:29 AM Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 05:09:15PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:

To me, its more important to not have a proliferation of places that must be
tweaked for the audit system. Its not a big deal to patch pam to have a new
argument.

> After the kernel is recompiled (needed in any case)
> it can be implemented with one line added to a file in /etc/sysctl.d/
> while your approach requires adding code to audit and pam, waiting for
> it to be released by their respective teams, then the user adding a
> config option to the pam module invocation.  I agree that would be more
> convenient for end users since it can be an option added in the same
> place as the module is invoked.

The problem that I have had for a long time is that there is no way to query
the kernel and ask what its audit capabilities are so that meaningful user
space warnings can be given.

> I haven't seen a lot of requests for this feature yet, but it sounds
> like there could be a lot of interest, so it may be worth doing
> correctly, rather than as a quick fix.
>
> Am I missing anything?

Nope. Let's make it nice and easy to configure in the same place that its
already being done. :-)

Thanks,