PCI-DSS: Log every root actions/keystrokes but avoid passwords

Miloslav Trmac mitr at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 17:37:53 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:43:58PM -0400, Miloslav Trmac wrote:

Are you looking at AUDIT_TTY only, or at AUDIT_USER_TTY as well?  The latter is generated by bash and not relevant.

Anyway, I was beig stupid - icanon is enabled even when asking for passwords (because backspace works).  When asking for passwords, the situation seems to be (ICANON && !ECHO) (using the tcsetattr(3p) names; I have checked agetty(8) and su(1)).  We definitely want to audit (ICANON && ECHO); I'm not sure about the !ICANON cases - I suspect we want them audited as well.  But that might need a more detailed look.
    Mirek