audit.rules file [Was: audit 2.3 released]

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon May 6 13:17:18 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Sunday, May 05, 2013 11:43:57 AM Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> > Several people have asked for a way to deposit rules into a directory
> > so that based on what is installed, rules can also be added. This
> > makes it easier to have a core system that gets packages, config, and
> > files added to make it a different kind of server or desktop. My
> > guess is that it will be mostly used to add watches on setuid apps
> > which can differ from machine type to machine type.
> >
> > The place where these rules are stored is /etc/audit/rules.d.
> > Compiling rules from that directory will result in a new file being
> > written to /etc/audit/audit.rules. That means it can overwrite
> > existing rules. Since we don't want that to happen by accident,
> > augenrules is disabled by default.
>
> [...]
>
> The make install rule is now installing audit.rules in
> the /etc/audit/rules.d directory.
>
> What would happen on fresh installation if augenrules call is disabled
> and that /etc/audit/audit.rules is not existing?
>
> Will /etc/audit/rules.d/audit.rules be called as a fallback? Or should
> distributions take care of shipping both /etc/audit/audit.rules
> and /etc/audit/rules.d/audit.rules?
>
> What do you think?

What I did in Fedora is to add a post install action like this:

%post
# Copy default rules into place on new installation
if [ ! -e /etc/audit/audit.rules ] ; then
        cp /etc/audit/rules.d/audit.rules /etc/audit/audit.rules
fi

This way if its a new install, you get a copy of the rules and if there are
any previously existing rules, they are not overwritten.