Proposed additions to ausearch

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon May 6 22:04:54 UTC 2013

On Monday, May 06, 2013 09:53:40 AM Steve Grubb wrote:
> >         - a new option will print out more parser friendly output for
> >         interpreted mode
>
> I am in the midst of coalescing the interpreters into one. I know this
> sounds  crazy, but ausearch and auparse both had independent copies of
> nearly the same material. The problem was they both keep data formatted
> completely different and that made combining them a challenge. I think
> auparse has a faster lookup algorithm but it allocates memory for the
> translation. So, I hope they cancel each other out.
>
> My point in mentioning this is that I am probably in the middle of changing
> code you hooked into. The work is checked in but still in progress. The
> first step was to create a common API for 3 functions used in translating
> fields. (This is checked in.) The next step is to link ausearch against
> auparse with the ausearch functions commented out. The final step is to
> remove all the unneeded code from ausearch. (I should be doing this today.)

All changes are checked into svn for this interpreter switch over. So far my
testing shows that although ausearch malloc/frees about 6 times as much as it
used to, the lookup algorithms in auparse are superior and we actually have
about a 20% speed improvement in the outputting of interpreted results.
Searching is not any faster.

At this point, the code should be stable in this area if you want to retest
and start sending patches.

Thanks,