"File system watches not supported" with auditctl 1.0.12 / kernel 2.6.32

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 18:14:54 UTC 2013

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:20:28 AM Aaron Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)"
> With a customized kernel version 2.6.32.
> And auditctl version 1.0.12

The two don't mix. RHEL4's filesystem watch technique was rejected by the
upstream kernel community, so its unique. The 2.6.16 and higher kernels use
the current technique. The audit 1.0.x series is designed for the old
technique, while audit 1.1 and higher use the new technique. You also cannot
upgrade from audit-1.0.x without rebuilding a fair amount of user space.

IOW, what you are doing was really never meant to work. You have 2 choices,
push forward with rebuilding user space with new audit package or go back to
old kernel if you need auditing. If you choose to use a new audit package,
also be aware that generally audit stays in sync with the kernel. So, if you
use a very new audit package and very old kernel, you might have other
features that don't work properly.

-Steve