Can't get syslog built-in plugin to post messages to syslog

Peter Butler PButler at pt.com
Tue Sep 10 05:42:00 UTC 2013

I can't get syslog built-in plugin to post messages to syslog.

My syslog.conf plugin file is:

active = yes
direction = out
path = builtin_syslog
type = builtin
args = LOG_INFO LOG_LOCAL3
format = string

Presumably the file is indeed being parsed by the user-space audit daemon, as after having changed 'active' to 'yes' (and restarted the system), I see the audit daemon has started up the child process audispd, as required.

The audit daemon is indeed logging the audit logs to /var/log/audit/audit.log, but is not also sending them to syslog as configured.

For what it's worth I am using rsyslog rather than syslog but I assume this makes no difference (?).

The rsyslog configuration for the audit logs is straightforward - the line in question being:

local3.*           /var/log/audit_trail

I assume my rsyslog is configured properly as I can send a message to LOG_LOCAL3 from the command-line using 'logger' and the message appears in /var/log/audit_trail.  But the audit logs never do.

I have the following packages installed:

audit-2.2.1-1
audispd-plugins-2.2.1-1
audit-libs-2.2.1-1