[Bisected] CONFIG_AUDIT in linux-3.14-rc1+ breaking Linux Containers?

Adam Richter adam_richter2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 22:56:22 UTC 2014

Hi.

If I take an Ubuntu 13.10-amd64 system and install an Ubuntu 13.04-i386 Linux Container, it works fine with kernel.org kernel releases through Linux-3.13, but, for Linux-13.14-rc1 and beyond, I cannot login with "lxc-console".  In that case, if I try to log in as "ubuntu" with the correct password, it quickly tell me the login was incorrect, and prompts me with a new "login:" prompt, but without the delay that occurs if I type in the wrong password.  I haven't bothered breaking into the "linux container", but, looking at its log files from the outside as it runs, I see some PAM errors about "operation not permitted."

I have reproduced this problem with the following container configurations, all on an
Ubuntu 13.10-amd64 hosts ("amd64" is Ubuntu's terminology, not my jibing Intel):

Ubuntu 13.04-i386
Ubuntu 13.10-i386
Ubuntu 13.10-amd64

I have also reproduced this with a kernel built from git://git.infradead.org/users/eparis/audit.git yesterday (Ubuntu 13.10-amd64 hosting an Ubuntu
 13.04-i386 container).

I have also tried disabling CONFIG_AUDIT{SYSCALL,_WATCH,_TREE} and CONFIG_KVM_MMU_AUDIT from linux-3.14-rc2-x86_64 and still observed the same problem.

Doing a "git bisect" on Linus's public tree brought me to the following change (Ubuntu 13.10-x86_64 hosting an Ubuntu 13.04-i386
 container):

33faba7fa7f2288d2f8aaea95958b2c97bf9ebfb is the first bad commit
commit 33faba7fa7f2288d2f8aaea95958b2c97bf9ebfb