[RFC] Comments on audit command line failure

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 16:34:23 UTC 2014

On Monday, January 06, 2014 07:38:02 PM William Roberts wrote:
> I've been doing some testing of the recent audit cmdline patches,
> notably as many as the error paths as I can.
>
> On a failure, the field is populated with null, like when key is null.

But (null) for a key field is normal rather than a failure.

> However, it has quotes, should I drop the quotes...
>
> Example:
>
> Now:
> cmdline="(null)" key=(null)
>
> Proposed:
> cmdline=(null) key=(null)

The audit event format cannot change. EVER! If it has been changed due some
patches, it must be changed back as fast as possible. Tools parse the log files
and any format change can cause something important to be missed. Even the
order of fields is important because some tools skip around taking advantage of
the order to speed searches.

So, the correct thing is to make sure events are the same before and after the
patches.

> I noticed that tty if its null also does not have quotes.

Quotes are only used when user space has influenced the value. We can't allow a
crafty user/admin to setup fields that will cause a parsing error that hides
and event from tools.