Setting loginuid for a process starting at boot

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 20:16:21 UTC 2014

On Monday, January 13, 2014 03:12:55 PM Eric Paris wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 23:00 +0100, Maupertuis Philippe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to monitor a process which starts at boot.
> >
> > I would like to assign  it a specific loginuid for that purpose.
> >
> > What is the best way to do that ?
>
> Have the init script echo a value into /proc/self/loginuid ?

The loginuid is supposed to be used only for real user sessions. The daemon
would not normally qualify as a user session. I suspect that this is needed
because we have no way to audit by process name. I suspect that is the real
issue that leads to needing to use the loginuid for something it was not
intended for.