Clear kernel audit buffer?

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 14:47:15 UTC 2014

On 14/01/14, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 01:09:52 PM Aaron Lewis wrote:
> > Yes, I did run auditctl -D to clear all rules. And during testing I
> > have enlarged the buffer queue to 10240 messages.
> >
> > Did you mean that once -D is issued, the buffer will be cleared by
> > auditd, but not by linux kernel?
>
> There is no way to directly clear the in kernel buffer. The audit system is
> supposed to keep events for disposition. If there was a simple command to dump
> events, that would be a simple way to circumvent detection. So, the best way
> to drain the queues is to give auditd more priority so it runs more often and
> longer before its time slice is up. You don't need to log to disk. But
> something has to read the events to get them out.

What Steve said.

The -D option has nothing directly to do with the queue.  It simply
shuts off most of the the taps filling your sink.  You still need to
drain the sink after it has filled/overflowed.

> -Steve

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rbriggs at redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer, Kernel Security, AMER ENG Base Operating Systems, Red Hat