aulast only displaying reboot pseudo-users

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 22:23:29 UTC 2014

On Thursday, June 05, 2014 12:04:05 AM Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> On my machine with audit 2.3.6 the following call to aulast is only
> displaying the "reboot" pseudo-users and not the actual logins:
>
> ausearch --start this-month --raw | aulast --stdin
>
> Passing the "--bad" option to aulast, seems to correctly return the
> failed login attempt.
>
> Also, adding the login name to the aulast command doesn't seems to work
> at all even with the --bad option.
>
> OTOH, the aulastlog command seems to work as expected.
>
> An idea?

 Would this happen to be a system with a recent GDM and systemd? If so, they
are known to be messing up the audit trail. I am trying to write a system
validation test suite to spot issues like this. If you look at gdm, its
sending duplicate events. Systemd events don't make it to audit all the time.
Its a mess on the desktop right now.