audit 2.3.7 released

Burn Alting burn at swtf.dyndns.org
Mon Jun 9 03:21:41 UTC 2014

Steve,

Please find a patch against 2.3.7 that, when check pointing, ausearch
will only use the recorded event time in the checkpoint file when
deciding what complete events to display. Basically, it will display all
complete events found after the event time found in the checkpoint file.

Normally, one would use check pointing in a periodic script that records
all 'new' audit events. Should certain errors occur, we need to recover
and continue to record 'new' audit events. This option allows use to do
a  'brute force' recovery by finding all events since the last recorded
time we have in the checkpoint file.

For example, the core of a periodic script may contain

  ausearch --checkpoint /usr/security/auditd_checkpoint.txt -i
  _aus=$?
  if test ${_aus} -eq 10 -o ${_aus} -eq 11 -o ${_aus} -eq 12
  then
    ausearch --checkpoint /usr/security/auditd_checkpoint.txt \
      --checkpoint-time-only -i
  fi

Rgds