Is zero a valid value for the pid member of the AUDIT_SIGNAL_INFO message?

Eric Paris eparis at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 16:35:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 08:22 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 06:15:17 PM Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> > Is zero a valid value for the pid member of the AUDIT_SIGNAL_INFO message?
>
> Well, pid=0 would be the kernel. So, its valid but unlikely.

Actually, signals from the kernel will never get recorded here...

> Offhand I don't
> know why the kernel might try sending a signal. Is this a problem?

He's trying to figure out how to store this info in light of pid
namespaces.  right now, auditd can only live in the initial pid
namespace, so can only get signals from processes in the initial pid
namespace, so we can store it as a number always in the initial pid
namespace.  But if auditd were ever to not be in the initial pid
namespace, not sure what to do....