Using the audit-libs-python in Python 3.3

Исаев Виталий Анатольевич isaev at fintech.ru
Mon May 5 06:00:32 UTC 2014

Hello,
I encountered difficulties when I tried to use the auparse module in Python 3.3. I would like to use this module with a modern version of the interpreter due to severe memory leaks in my auparse-based script that is run in Python 2.6.6 (which is default for RHEL 6.4). The problem is described here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23369937/python-memory-consumption-on-linux-physical-and-virtual-memory-are-growing-whil. Surely it can be my own fault (cyclic links preventing the gc work or something else), but some people from Stackoverflow community advised me to use Python 3+ since it works with dynamic memory more properly. I would like to do it first.

So I tried to import auparse module from the audit-libs-python into the interpreter that was distributed with the latest version of LibreOffice:

[root at vitaly registration]# yum info audit-libs-python
Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, security, subscription-manager
This system is not registered to Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use subscription-manager to register.
Installed Packages
Name        : audit-libs-python
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 2.2
Release     : 2.el6
Size        : 267 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : repository-204
Summary     : Python bindings for libaudit
URL         : http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/
License     : LGPLv2+
Description : The audit-libs-python package contains the bindings so that libaudit
            : and libauparse can be used by python.

[root at vitaly registration]# rpm -q --provides audit-libs-python
_audit.so()(64bit)
auparse.so()(64bit)
audit-libs-python = 2.2-2.el6
audit-libs-python(x86-64) = 2.2-2.el6

[vitaly at vitaly registration]$ /opt/libreoffice4.2/program/python
Python 3.3.3 (default, Jan 28 2014, 10:45:06)
[GCC 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-1)] on linux
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append('/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/')
>>> from auparse import AuParser
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/auparse.so: undefined symbol: _Py_ZeroStruct

I will appreciate if someone could help me to import this module to Python 3.3. Thank you a lot!

Vitaly Isaev
Software engineer
Information security department
Fintech JSC, Moscow, Russia