Draft copy of how to write good events

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 18:35:39 UTC 2014

On Thursday, September 04, 2014 06:08:06 PM Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> > I assume the mix of new-, new_, old- and old_ are there due to
> > historical raisins and changing them would break userspace...

Yes it would. It can break more than ausearch. For example, there could be an
analysis script that does this:

while au.parse_next_event():
    if au.find_field("new_gid"):
        do_something()

Changing the event would cause the program to not find the event it was looking
for.

> > Here's a unified diff of a few obvious minor cleanups...

I took most of these changes and added some more changes of my own. A revised
copy has been uploaded.