User Account Lifecycle Auditing Specification

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 00:12:52 UTC 2014

On Monday, September 15, 2014 07:25:16 PM Josh wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2014, at 5:21 PM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Recently I run across a problem where the events being sent by a program
> > that enrolls users and groups was found to be not sending the right
> > events. Some of the events were correct, some were wrong. In wanting to
> > correct this problem (and write verification suites later) I thought it
> > might be nice to have some specifications written up so that there is a
> > common understanding that may be referred to. This will allow correction
> > of misbehaving programs and people to better understand what this handful
> > of events mean in a larger context.
> >
> > The document was added to the audit project page. A direct link can be
> > found here:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/user-account-lifecycle.txt
> >
> > I would appreciate feedback and/or comments. I will also try to write up a
> > couple other areas that need some clarification in the near future.
>
> Thanks for putting this together!
>
> “The creation of a group mapping by adding a line to /etc/group should
> results in the creation of an AUDIT_ADD_GROUP event.” sounds weird. Perhaps
> you mean "The creation of a group mapping by adding a line to /etc/group
> should result in the creation of an AUDIT_ADD_GROUP event.”

Fixed

> "This will also allow for test suites to be created to spot problems with
> thsi common understanding of how the system should behave so that apps are
> corrected.” has a typo. Should be "This will also allow for test suites to
> be created to spot problems with this common understanding of how the
> system should behave so that apps are corrected.”

And fixed. Thanks for the comments. I typically massage text like this a couple
weeks before going public. But in this case, I have to fix the offending
software immediately and need to get this out. I will be updating the file over
the next day or two to smooth the explanations as I forget what I meant. :-)