Refactoring src/ausearch-report.c:output_interpreted_node()

Burn Alting burn at swtf.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 29 02:41:23 UTC 2014

Steve,

In lib/lookup_table.c:audit_name_to_msg_type(), the event type value is
parsed and converted to an integer as per,

Given
        type=<type_value>
then
        <type_value>
is parsed for
        - a known string
        - a long integer number, n, found in the specific string
		"UNKNOWN[n]"
        - a long integer number, n, found in the specific string
		"n"

In src/ausearch-report.c:output_interpreted_node() it additionally
parses for a <type_value> of
        - a long integer number, n, found in the string "[^\[]*[n].*"
i.e.
        type=something[n]something_else

Is there any reason against adding this additional parsing into
lib/lookup_table.c:audit_name_to_msg_type()?

If we can, then output_interpreted_node() can be re-factored so we are
not parsing the same data twice for every event.

I am uncertain what effect of accepting this additional format would
have when adding rules to the running audit system - i.e.
audit_name_to_msg_type() is called by autrace/auditctl when parsing
rules (ie the msgtype field name).

Regards

Burn