Recovery when disk_full_action=HALT

Andrew Ruch adruch2002 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:29:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

We have a RHEL6 system with the disk_full_action set to HALT. I'm
working on procedures for what to do if this case occurs. When the log
partition fills up, the system shuts down. However, the system will
not boot after this because as soon as auditd tries to start, the
system immediately shuts down again. What are the options for
recovering after this happens? I've come up with two:

1) Stop the boot process at grub and disable audit by adding a kernel
parameter 'audit=0'.

2) If grub timeout is 0, use a live CD to access the audit partition.

I'm sure there are some variations on option 1 using an interactive
boot. Are there any other options I missed, especially if grub timeout
has been set to 0?

Thanks,
Andrew Ruch