New draft standards

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 22:49:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 12:43:37 +1100
Burn Alting <burn at swtf.dyndns.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > (assuming the information was conveyed via return values or some
> > other mechanism).
> >
> > > Lifecycle of the system
> > > =======================
> > > When the system is powered on, control is eventually turned over
> > > to an init daemon. This daemon is responsible for starting up all
> > > other system services and performing an order system shutdown
> > > when asked. This init daemon should send a AUDIT_SYSTEM_BOOT
> > > event after it has done its own initialization. Most init systems
> > > have different targets or modes of operation that the system is
> > > turned over for interactive sessions. Examples are multi-user
> > > console, multi-user graphical, etc.
> >
> > You mention it later, but it might be a good idea to mention in
> > this paragraph that the audit daemon should be started as early as
> > possible by the init daemon.
> >
> > > Init will determine what runlevel the system is ultimately going
> > > to try to achieve. When gets there or it fails to get there, it
> > > shall issue an AUDIT_SYSTEM_RUNLEVEL event to denote which mode
> > > of operation it was going to be in. If an admin requests that the
> > > system switch to another runlevel, then it should issue another
> > > AUDIT_SYSTEM_RUNLEVEL event.
> >
> > I think it would be good to have a discussion about runlevels that
> > don't follow the traditional integer numbering, e.g. string based
> > runlevels.
> >
> > * https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/event-enrichment
> >
> > > Audit Event Enrichment
> > > ======================
> > >
> > > There are times when the audit events are stored in another
> > > machine and need to be searched at a later date. Some parts of
> > > the audit event are temporally limited in duration or unique to a
> > > system. This makes interpretting fields that are numbers into
> > > human readable fields hard or impossible without running a report
> > > at the time of the event or on the machine the event occurred on.
> > >
> > > To address this issue, the audit daemon will get a new mode,
> > > enrich, where the audit trail will be amended as follows at the
> > > time an event is logged:
> > >
> > > 1) Translations will be:
> > >   a) appended to the end of the event with the field's name in
> > > capital letters
> >
> > Please no, let's leave field names case insensitive, perhaps an
> > agreed upon suffix, e.g. "-trans"?
> >
> > >   b) encoded if user controlled data is used for enrichment
> > >
> > > 2) The auparse library will:
> > >   a) preferentially use these fields whenever an interpretation
> > > is requested b) if none exist, look up the fields on the local
> > > machine if necessary
> >
> > I think resolving these fields on the local machine is misleading,
> > and potentially dangerous; this is especially true with respect to
> > SELinux labels. If you can't resolve the field, simply display it
> > raw and let the operator determine how to handle it.
> >

> Steve,
>
> Can you mock up some examples of an 'enriched' event showing how it is

type=LOGIN msg=audit(1449782897.896:2496): pid=1768 uid=0
subj=system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 old-auid=4294967295
auid=4325 old-ses=4294967295 ses=1 res=1 UID="root" OLD-AUID="unset"
AUID="sgrubb"

type=SYSCALL msg=audit(1449778741.412:4952): arch=c000003e syscall=40
success=no exit=-22 a0=3 a1=0 a2=0 a3=4000 items=0 ppid=7362 pid=7994
auid=4294967295 uid=0 gid=0 euid=0 suid=0 fsuid=0 egid=0 sgid=0 fsgid=0
tty=(none) ses=4294967295 comm="systemd-coredum"
exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump"
subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 key="einval-retcode" ARCH=x86_64
SYSCALL=sendfile AUID="unset" UID="root" GID="root" EUID="root"
SUID="root" FSUID="root" EGID="root" SGID="root" FSGID="root"

-Steve