Use case not covered by the audit library?

Gulland, Scott A scott.gulland at hpe.com
Tue Dec 15 05:13:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a fairly common use case that I'm not sure is covered by the audit library and I need some advice on how best to handle it.   I have a daemon running as root that services REST API calls (or a web UI from a browser).  An external application first establishes a session by authenticating a user which returns a token/session ID to the caller.   All future REST API calls, supplies the token/session ID which allows them authenticated access to the requested resource.   The token/session ID indicates what user the request is associated with.  Obviously, there can be many users simultaneously issuing requests.

What I need to do is specify the user on each audit log call.   For example, I need to have a way to specify which user is issuing the request when I call audit_log_user_message().  Is this possible?   This is a very common use case and really needs to be handled.

Scott Gulland
916.785.1497
HPE Networking, CEB R&D

8000 Foothills Blvd; MS - 5505