New draft standards

LC Bruzenak lenny at magitekltd.com
Tue Dec 29 19:28:42 UTC 2015

On 12/14/2015 08:34 AM, Steve Grubb wrote:
> That is not exactly what I proposed. What I was proposing was to record the
> translation of things that could change between systems and thus prevent
> correct interpretation later. Doing all translations is technically possible
> but would slow down auditd just a bit and increase the amount of data on disk.
> But doing this is not really necessary for the native audit tools.
>
> But I guess this gives me an opportunity to ask the community what tools they
> are using for audit log collection and viewing? Its been a couple years since
> e had this discussion on the mail list and I think some things have changed.
>
> Do people use ELK?
> Apache Flume?
> Something else?
>
> It might be possible to write a plugin to translate the audit logs into the
> native format of these tools.

Sorry for the late reply. Translating the salient details is for me
important.
This is especially true on systems where:
- aggregation is happening from one or more different machines (and
cannot assume federated UIDs), and
- where records are required to be kept over long periods of time
(system updates happen, UIDs are changed, people leave, etc)

I realize it carries a processing burden somewhere; this is inevitable
and I believe we'll need to design for this.
We're auditing for a reason; we need proof of who did what and in
varying degrees I believe this means persistence of accountability.

Because I'm almost a one-stop shop where I work, and the auditing
requirements are specific and particular, I have a homegrown log
collection and viewing solution for now but would prefer to incorporate
a flexible, more useful user tool. So I'm in the "something else"
category but somewhat open to change.

LCB

--
LC (Lenny) Bruzenak