linux-next: Tree for Jan 20 -- Kernel panic - Unable to mount root fs

Al Viro viro at ZenIV.linux.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 00:41:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 07:14:46PM -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
> > > with the patch applied (+panic)
> > >

> > > and:
> > >
> > > stat("/dev/root") -> 0
> > > stat("dev") -> 0
> > > with the old version of do_path_lookup.
> >
> > Wait a minute ... at this early stage of boot, I'm pretty sure we don't have
> > a valid current->audit_context since we haven't fork'd anything.  If the
> > audit context was non-NULL garbage that might explain the panic ...

Not really - the panic is predicatable result of not finding /dev/root (hell,
not even /dev there!) in mount_block_root().

> Could you try initializing the init_task's audit_context to NULL in the
> INIT_TASK macro in include/linux/init_task.h?

Missing fields in struct initializer are treated as zeroes.

The shit hits the fan earlier - when we end up missing /dev.  There are
two places where it could've been created (depending on CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD);
	sys_mkdir(collected, mode);
in init/initramfs.c (line 353 in linux-next) and
        err = sys_mkdir((const char __user __force *) "/dev", 0755);
in init/noinitramfs.c (line 32).  The latter would've screamed on failure;
could you printk of collected (%s), mode (%o) and return value (%d) in the
former and see what happens?