Configuration file monitoring - reporting content changes

Burn Alting burn at swtf.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 20 22:12:12 UTC 2015

Gary,

Thanks. Although quite comprehensive about raising an alert when a large
variety action occur to a file, it still doesn't give me the core
requirement of reporting what content has changed. At best, one could
use the 'execute a command option' to, say do a diff on certain actions,
but you would also need to set up capability to replicate the file in
the first place, and, hope no one deletes the replicated file which
would defeat the purpose of the watch. Too many moving parts that can be
attacked.

To me, something like iwatch is a useful capability that can fire off an
alert as soon as the action occurs. At this point a Security Operations
Centre could take action. Although, I would expect them to wait for the
auditd events that not only record the action, but also the high level
command involved (PROCTITLE) and the user (auid) and what privileges
(*uid, *gid) they had.

Again, I am looking for a light weight, self contained tool.

Regards