auparse with AUSOURCE_DESCRIPTOR

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 16:12:02 UTC 2015

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:16:53 AM Satish Chandra Kilaru wrote:
> Never mind... I found out why it was not working...

The auparse API expects string formatted events. The binary interface exists
in case you completely understand how the audit events are formatted and
prefer to take events as they come out.

For anyone not completely familiar with the data structures, its better to
just use strings. In thsi way, you can extract portions of the log using
ausearch --raw > test.log  and then feed that to your program for debugging.

> 1. auparse_next_event() does not call callback function. I have to call
> that function when auparse_next_event() returns.

The next event function is normally used when you are iterating through a file.
If you are taking real-time events, its best to use the feed API and then
process the event in the call back. There is a sample program here that should
make starting an analysis program very simple:

https://fedorahosted.org/audit/browser/trunk/contrib/plugin

> 2. it expects events in string format. I configured the plugin to send
> events in binary format. hence auparse_next_event() was not returning.

I'll update the man page to auparse_init to make sure this is clear.

> 3. auparse_next_event() returns only when the parser sees the beginning of
> the next event.. i.e first event is returned after seeing the beginning of
> the 2nd event. Is this expected?

Yes. For some types of events, we don't know when the event is complete until
we see the next one. They can also be interlaced. Its on the TODO list to fix
this second issue. But my suggestion is to look at a couple sample programs
and follow how they do things.

-Steve