Seeking auditd help

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Tue May 12 12:13:16 UTC 2015

On 15/05/12, Burn Alting wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 15:52 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > On Monday, May 11, 2015 11:50:19 AM Bill Jackson III wrote:
> > > Any pointers for troubleshooting  auditd missing events for file reads,
> > > edits, etc. ( -w _path_ -p raw) on OEL5/RHEL 5/CentOS 5?
> > >
> > > http://security.stackexchange.com/q/89009/56827
> >
> > The -w notation is the same as
> >
> > -a always,exit -F path=XXX -F perms=rwa
> >
> > What this does is audit the following functions defined in the syscall
> > classifiers
> > :
> > http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/asm-generic/audit_read.h
> > http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/asm-generic/audit_write.h
> > http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/asm-generic/audit_change_attr.h
> >
> > You are not going to get a hit for each and every read system call because
> > read is not audited.
>
> Bill,
>
> Is your question
>
>   "Can one apply a file watch using auditd if the file does not exist?"
>
> then I believe the answer is no.

There is a patch set coming to be able to address this case if the
directory exists.  Down the road, I'm hoping to be able to accomodate
non-existant directories too.

> Options would be
> - as part of your application deployment standard operating procedures
> (SOPs) add appropriate watches to audit.rules and restart the auditd
> service
> - keep all you sensitive files in one directory location, set a
> directory watch on this directory tree and then as part of your
> application deployment SOPs, place the real files in the sensitive file
> area and then link to them from the application area. (I've just tried
> this on a fc22 system and it works)
>
> Regards

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rbriggs at redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer, Kernel Security, AMER ENG Base Operating Systems, Red Hat