Early processes (daemons) do not report audit events

Kangkook Jee aixer77 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:03:28 UTC 2015

Dear Richard,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Please refer to my inlined replies.

Btw, we can stably re-produce the issue with most of Ubuntu distribution
families. I think we can ship you a VM image (via Amazon S3 or something) so as
to save your time debugging it.

Thanks a lot for your help again!

Regards, Kangkook

> On Sep 11, 2015, at 5:50 AM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 15/09/10, Kangkook Jee wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I debugged a bit further to identify distributions that are affected by the issue.
>> I repeated the same experiment with sshd from 3 more distributions.
>>
>> CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (64-bit, 3.10.0-229.el7.x86_64): Problem NOT reproduced
>> CentOS release 6.6 (64-bit, 2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64): Problem NOT reproduced
>> Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS (64-bit, 3.13.0-32-generic): Problem reproduced
>
> For each of these examples, what is the value of the kernel command line
> "audit=<value>" if it is even present?  It is possible that the CentOS
> examples include "audit=1" while Ubuntu omits the line.  "cat
> /proc/cmdline" should tell you the answer.

For all testcases, I used the same auditctl options to set up rules and I didn’t set any audit=<value> entries.
And options as same as I presented from the previous email.

>>>   # /sbin/auditctl -a exit,always -F arch=b64 -S clone -S close -S creat -S dup
>>>          -S dup2 -S dup3 -S execve -S exit -S exit_group -S fork -S open -S openat
>>>          -S unlink -S unlinkat -S vfork -S 288 -S accept -S bind -S connect
>>>          -S listen -S socket -S socketpair

And I personally don’t think audit=<value> would become an issue here, since
audit framework began to capture events from sshd daemon as soon as we restarted
it without making any changes. sshd was running with the same uid (or auid) and
the same permissions.

>> After all, Ubuntu family are affected by the issue and I could confirm
>> that results are inconsistent across two different distribution
>> families.
>
> I would be curious what your results are with a recent Debian and with a
> recent Fedora.

I will redo the same experiment with those distribution and let you know how it goes.