audit review question

Warron S French warron.s.french at aero.org
Thu Apr 28 15:50:33 UTC 2016

Steve, thanks for your replies to all of my questions.

Can you please send me a walk through document for trying to send the 6 workstations and 1 servers audit-data into the same directory structure?  Something that will definitely work, please?

I have a VM environment that I can make changes on and then test, so I would be very grateful for any cooperation I could get.

My intent is to have all the machines log data to the same machine.  I want the system security auditors to be able to use the typical aureport and ausearch commands (that I know you write).

So, I have to ask, can this be done, and the audit logs be parsed on a per hostname-basis?
Can they be stored in directories that are /var/log/audit/YYYY/MM/DD/Hostname_audit.log format - or is that inadvisable considering the intention to continue to support/use the two commands: aureport and ausearch?   What would you advise - please?

I am aware of the /etc/audisp directory, which I am sure is associated with the audispd daemon, but I don't have the foggiest clue of how to configure them together.

It is only because of stumbling around for the last 2 years (and very feverishly the last 2 days) that I have learned how to use the auditctl and aureport commands.  I want to do this correctly, and I want to do it consistently with "industry standards" so that I can continue to get support from people like the folks in this 'forum.'

Thanks, for any advice and useful links you can share.  I am certain that as you provide them and I read them it will force me to ask even more questions.  I hope you don't mind.

Warron French, MBA, SCSA