Auditd misses accept syscalls from sshd

Nathan Cooprider ncooprider at yankeehacker.com
Sat Dec 3 02:15:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 6:44 PM Hassan Sultan <hsultan at thefroid.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 13:42:02 -0800, Nathan Cooprider <
> ncooprider at yankeehacker.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks for the suggestion. I'm getting other audit events from sshd
> without restarting ssh. It's just the accept syscalls that do not show up
> until after I restart ssh:
>
> type=SYSCALL msg=audit(1480714641.465:54): arch=c000003e syscall=43
> success=yes exit=5 a0=3 a1=7ffce3b031b0 a2=7ffce3b0319c a3=0 items=0 ppid=1
> pid=2602 auid=4294967295 uid=0 gid=0 euid=0 suid=0 fsuid=0 egid=0 sgid=0
> fsgid=0 tty=(none) ses=4294967295 comm="sshd" exe="/usr/sbin/sshd"
> key=(null)
>
> I think that indicates the kernel is sending up audit messages. My
> question is why the above message fails to come up until after I've
> restarted ssh.
>

> (I was the person having that issue almost 2 years ago)
>
> I never fully investigated it, but came up with one theory explaining it :
>
> - accept is a blocking syscall , it might be that sshd started and the
> syscall was initiated before the audit rule was loaded. This would explain
> why you see the event when restarting sshd.
>
> Don't use the tcp connection time to evaluate whether the auditing worked
> properly, but rather when the initial accept call was made, which basically
> amounts to when sshd is started.
>

> Hassan

After I restart the ssh service I get an accept call every time I try to
ssh into the box, whereas before I restart the ssh service I get no events.
That does not conform with my mental model of how this would work, but I
wouldn't be asking this question if my mental model was correct!

Thanks for the hypothesis and tip, plus the original question!