EOE events in auparse output

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 15:27:47 UTC 2016

On Monday, December 5, 2016 3:00:39 PM EST Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
> I was playing with auditd and aushape on Fedora 24 and found some strange
> entries in my log. There was a separate *event* produced by auparse
> containing a single EOE record. These events had the same serial number as
> the directly preceding events, which were exclusively containing SYSCALL
> records.
>
> Those EOE records didn't appear in the audit.log file.
>
> Is this a bug? Is this normal?

The record is not created by auparse. The kernel sends this whenever there is
a multipart event. This record is stripped before putting the event to disk to
save disk space. We can get along with this because it can be deduced later
and running reports from disk is not realtime. On the realtime interface it is
passed along so that recognizing that an event is complete can occur
immediately upon receipt. Realtime event processing kind of needs this
guarantee.