How to monitor audit/audispd killed

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 14:12:41 UTC 2016

On 16/01/04, Matthew Chao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added the following rules in audit.rules for monitoring auditd/audispd be
> killed(audit ver: 1.8),
> =============
> -a exit,always -F perm=wa -F path=/var/run/auditd.pid -k cfg
>
> -a exit,always -F perm=wa -F path=/var/run/audispd_events -k cfg
>
> Or
> -a exit,always -S kill -F path=/var/run/auditd.pid -k cfg
>
> -a exit,always -S kill -F path=/var/run/audispd_events -k cfg
>
> However, these rules don't work: even the processes (auditd/audispd) are
> killed, I can't get any related messages except DAEMON_END.

Is that because auditd is no longer there to receive that message?  Did
it show up in syslog or were you able to re-start auditd before the hold
queue overflowed to be able to pick up those messages?

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rbriggs at redhat.com>
Senior Software Engineer, Kernel Security, AMER ENG Base Operating Systems, Red Hat